Saturday, August 31, 2013

12 Underrated Songs from the Past 10 years- Part II

Here's three more underappreciated songs for you to enjoy on your Labor Day Saturday. Let's keep it going with 9 through 7.

Number 9: Eric Church “Drink in my Hand” 2011



It never makes sense to me why some country songs become cross-over hits, while others fail to. Eric Church’s “Drink in my Hand” reached number one on the country charts in 2011, but was never able to crack the Billboard Top 40. This is astonishing to me because “Drink in my Hand” is one of the best party anthems of the recent past. With its tight lyrics, catchy melody, and energetic vocals, I initially thought Eric Church had created a monster mainstream hit. (Think Carrie Underwood “Before he cheats.”) Instead, most of my friends who are not diehard country fans have never heard of this song.  Even “Red Solo Cup” had more cross-over appeal than “Drink in my Hand.” This is heartbreaking since “Drink in my Hand” is a perfect example of how country music in the recent decade has filled the void left by the disappearance of heartland and southern rock. Eric Church isn’t just a country artist, but he’s also today’s Bob Seger or Marshall Tucker. Rock fans alienated by the current state of their genre should perhaps look to country music. They might like what they find.

Number 8: Company of Thieves “Oscar Wilde” 2009



This is certainly one of my favorite alt-rock songs of the past ten years. Company of Thieves front woman Genevieve Schatz has a mesmerizing voice, and it’s on full display here as she passionately belts out these melancholy lyrics. The guitar riffs in “Oscar Wilde” have a cool mid-90s alt-rock feel, but Schatz’s refined vocals feel very now, giving the song an interesting blend of both old and new. However, this song never made the Billboard Top 40. This is surprising since soon after Florence and the Machine’s “Dog Days are Over” was able to achieve mainstream success. I don’t know, maybe the song’s nineties sound confused people as to whether this a new band they should care about? Whatever the reason, it’s still a great song.



Number 7: Chris Brown “She Ain’t You” 2011



I know, I know, Chris Brown is a monster. However, I’m not judging him as a human being, I’m simply judging his music. In 2011, Brown released his best song to date and one of the best R&B jams I’ve ever heard. However, most Americans simply ignored this song or quickly dismissed it because it was made by America’s most hated pop-star. However, I dare everyone to give it a few listens and tell me they don’t love it. “She Ain’t You” features a Michael Jackson sample, which gives the song a fun eighties feel. Additionally, Brown’s lyrics have a soft and refreshingly good-natured vibe. Basically it’s extremely catchy and energetic, but its mid-tempo beats make the song a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment